South Carolina Missions

I am a missionary in Gaston, SC and this blog will help anyone interested to stay informed about what's going on in my field of labor.

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Please Don't Litter

Today we participated in an Adopt-a-Highway program for one of the local roads. That means we patrolled a 2-mile stretch of Meadowfield Rd. in Gaston, and picked up trash. Evidently it had not been done for a while, because we found a lot of trash to pick up. I thought it would be a very simple job that would take maybe 2 hours to do. Boy, was I wrong. In the end, it took 5 people 4 hours to clean up that 2-miles of road. We filled up 50 bags of trash. That's a lot of litter. Needless to say, I will not be throwing any trash out of my window, and if my kids do, they'll be in big trouble.
This trash pick up is one way for the church to make the community better. We also benefit by having our name put up on the Adopt-a-Highway sign, at both ends of our stretch of road. I think next time it will be a little easier, because there won't be quite so much build-up. I think we will also try to get a larger crew together than we had this time.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian Sheridan said...

Driving that stretch of road the next morning, I found out that it is acually 2.6 miles. I also found out that the road doesn't stay clean very long. Already there are probably at least 20 beer cans and other trash that has been thrown out.

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home